Nissan Awards eFlex Systems to Implement Assembly Software for Another Decherd Engine Line
by Tina Kennedy, on Feb 16, 2017 3:24:14 PM
Photo Source: Nissan News
In 2014, Nissan opened their Infiniti Powertrain Plant in Decherd, Tennessee, embracing eFlex System's Flexible Assembly Technology suite. This lean manufacturing software allowed their 4-cylinder engine line to easily rebalance, reconfigure and report on production status in real-time. With continuous monitoring and transparency of the production process, Nissan team members were able to reduce waste, improve quality, and quickly react to market and model mix changes.
Decherd celebrated the production of their 10 millionth engine last year, with no end in sight. With increasing demand for Nissan vehicles, Decherd will ramp up production of engines and implement a second line using eFlex's Flexible Assembly Configuration System (FACS). According to Nissan News, " Nissan has made strategic investments in its US operations to ensure the company is able to build quality vehicles that meet the growing needs of U.S. consumers."
In a statement by George Jewell, eFlex VP, "The addition of the FACS system to the new line will ensure that Nissan continues with their lean manufacturing strategy and is able to quickly meet changing market demands, while maintaining productivity and quality standards. We are excited our software made a positive impact on the first Nissan engine line it was installed on and expect continued success with the second line."
What Is eFlex Assembly?
eFlex Assembly is part of our (MES) Manufacturing Execution System software, which works with the associated MEL-FACS "flexible assembly configuration system", Mitsubishi Electric’s Q-series PLC hardware and software solution. The eFlex Assembly software system at the Infiniti engine plant includes the following modular and integrated software tools:
- eConfiguration: Performs station/model configuration and downloading new process requirements for production, without PLC reprogramming
- ePIT: Process Improvement Tool allows benchmarking and quality plant floor changes with simple statistical tools
- eReports: First level reporting for plant floor operation down to individual part and task specific status
- eDiagnostics: Works integrally with eFlex Assembly for non-conforming parts arriving at test/repair areas to contain the latest line configuration data and descriptions
- eHMI: Provides plant floor station HMI’s configuration data, such detailed task naming sequences
- eInstructions: To provide highly detailed and sequenced Standard Operating Instructions on the manual station HMI’s, for optimized production quality attainment
About eFlex Systems
eFlex Systems is a recognized industry leader in the design and implementation of advanced technology and world-class assembly optimization solutions for the manufacturing and information technology markets. We can help you achieve the right balance of technology and lean manufacturing principles to meet changing market demands. Serving a global customer base, we continue to expand our production assembly optimization expertise. We rely on our reputation as a world class manufacturing software company and manufacturing consulting firm to both attract new customers and preserve our relationship with existing clients. Our team includes a diverse group of developers, designers and engineers from manufacturing, software and consulting disciplines.